Meetings Coordinator at American Physical Society – APSFull time @Tarauli posted 7 months ago
Who we are:
The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents more than 50,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and throughout the world.
Do you like to travel? Want to join a dynamic team that leads the planning process for meetings that informs the public about the importance of physics? Then joining the APS Meetings Department, which hosts annual meetings attended by thousands of physicists, scientists, and journalists as the Meetings Coordinator is ideal for you. This position requires an individual with a passion for great customer service who is seeking the opportunity to work in an exciting and fast-paced professional environment.This position will be responsible to assist in planning and management of APS General Meetings, Divisional Meetings, Section Meetings, and other meetings as required. This will include, but not limited to supporting the development and implementation of planning, budgeting, event marketing and communications, and on-site management. This position will work with the APS Senior Meetings Manager to support all the meeting functions as necessary. Ability to travel is required to assist with on-site execution of meetings. Join us for an exciting and fast-paced environment, by working as a Meetings Coordinator. Come assist in planning and managing APS meetings. Apply today!
Position may require up to 30% business travel annually to attend meetings and events as directed by supervisor.
The APS has a “remote first” concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access, independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations. This position could require at times in office work, travel to various geographic events and meeting attendance as instructed by your Supervisor. APS values diversity and welcomes candidates from a variety of backgrounds. APS offers a dynamic work environment with an outstanding total compensation package including salary, outstanding benefits, and excellent paid time off.
- Assist in planning and management of APS in-house and off-site meetings
- Assist with the development and implementation of event plans and timelines and input of tasks and assignments in Asana
- Tracks tasks and goals in Asana to connect and stay on target with internal and cross departmental teams.
- Update meetings calendar as well as meetings web information.
- Assist with preparation of post-conference reports
- Provide administrative support
- Serve as meeting minutes scribe for the COSM Meetings
- Supports maintaining meeting supplies inventory. Ensures orders are placed to maintain correct inventory.
- Assists with shipping of Meetings Department and Membership materials to and from meetings including tracking, claims and billing
- Participates in pre-production planning meetings and execution with the meeting organizers and internal departments.
- Manages meetings as assigned
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent required.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Minimum of 2 years experience commensurate with work.
- Must be coachable and teachable, a team player with a willingness to share information.
- Must be capable of multitasking in a high-volume environment and have the ability to effectively manage time, prioritize tasks and work within deadlines.
- Ability to work under pressure and to adapt quickly to changing schedules.
- Must be well organized, detail-oriented and have demonstrated effective follow-up skills.
- Experience in the use of, Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Docs and Sheets.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills (verbal, written and listening) and excellent interpersonal skills at all levels of business, with a strong orientation toward providing outstanding member services as part of a team.
- Ability to work well with interdepartmental teams as well as independently.
- Experience in planning small meetings a plus.
- Must have excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Proofreading and editing knowledge.
- Excellent customer service.
Our physical offices are located in College Park, MD, Washington D.C and Hauppauge, N.Y. We are operational in most US states. We are not operational in all 50 states. The APS has a “remote first” concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access within the United States, independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations. APS allows flexible work hours; responsiveness is required, however, during the core 9 am to 5pm Eastern Standard Time workday.
Our Core Values:
- The Scientific Method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
- Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
- Speaking Out
- Education and Learning
Social Media: https://www.aps.org/newsroom/social/index.cfm
Amazing 2023 Benefit Offerings:
- Flexible schedules and ability to work remotely
- 8% employer-paid retirement contribution
- Investment advisement services: 100% employer paid
- Medical benefits: PPO or HDHP option
- Employer contribution to FSA or HSA account, eligibility based on medical plan enrollment
- Lifestyle Spending benefit up to $2000.00 (USD) – 100% employer paid
- Dental benefits: individual coverage 100% employer paid
- Vision benefits: individual and dependent coverage 100% employer paid
- Basic Life & Accident insurance: employee coverage 100% employer paid
- Supplemental Life & Accident insurance, including spouse & dependent child(ren) coverage
- Disability insurance: employee coverage 100% employer paid
- Voluntary Accident & Critical Illness insurance
- Healthcare, Commuter & Dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Vacation: 15 days annually
- Generous holiday leave: 17 paid days of significance; includes one week closure at the end of December
- Personal leave: 4 days annually
- Volunteer leave: 1 day annually
- Sick leave: 10 days annually
- Bereavement & Compassion leave: 2 -15 days based on loss
- 12 weeks employer-paid family leave
- College tuition reimbursement plan
- Job related seminar & continuing education
- Professional Certification/Recertification 100% employer paid
- Training and professional development; access to LinkedIn Learning on-demand courses
- Employee Assistance Program
- Mindfulness Meditation: live and on-demand classes
- APS does not offer relocation assistance/costs
The American Physical Society is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of American Physical Society not to discriminate or allow the harassment of employees or applicants on the basis of race, religious creed, alienage or citizenship, religion, color, ethnicity, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, protected veteran status, protected military status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, predisposing genetic characteristics, ancestry, domestic violence victim status or any other characteristic protected by law with regard to any employment practices, including recruitment, advertising, job application procedures, hiring, upgrading, training, promotion, transfer, compensation, job assignments, benefits and/or other terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, provided the individual is qualified, with or without reasonable accommodations, to perform the essential functions of the job. This policy applies to all jobs at APS. The American Physical Society is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request a reasonable accommodation, please contact APS Human Resources at [email protected].
The “Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal” poster, prepared by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), provides an overview of several laws that protect you from discrimination on the job, and several rights are afforded to you by these laws. The “Pay Transparency Non Discrimination Provision,” prepared by the U.S. Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP), provides an overview of several protections implemented to protect individuals working under federal contracts from discrimination when inquiring about or discussing compensation; these protections apply to all employees and applicants. All APS Employees must be vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination via our secured vaccination portal upon hire, unless they have an HR approved medical or religious exemption.The APS has a “remote first” concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access, independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations.. We welcome you to apply today!