Senior Backend Engineer – Cyber PoliciesFull time @Greenhouse jobs posted 8 months ago
Coalition is the world’s first Active Insurance provider designed to help prevent digital risk before it strikes. Founded in 2017, Coalition combines broad insurance coverage with a digital risk assessment and continuous security monitoring to help organizations protect themselves in today’s hyper-connected world.
Coalition offers its Active Insurance products in the U.S., U.K., and Canada through relationships with leading global insurers including Allianz, Arch Insurance, Lloyd’s of London, Swiss Re and Zurich, as well as cyber capacity through its own carrier, Coalition Insurance Company. Coalition’s Active Risk Platform provides automated security alerts, threat intelligence, expert guidance, and cybersecurity tools to help businesses worldwide remain resilient against cyber attacks.
Coalition comprises a team of cybersecurity and technology experts, as well as experienced insurance professionals, who have come together to build a world-class organization with a massive technological advantage. Our secret sauce is bringing these expertise together to create a world-class organization with one mission: to protect the unprotected as the world digitizes. Today, Coalition is one of the world’s largest commercial insurtechs serving hundreds of thousands of customers worldwide.
Since its founding, Coalition has raised $755 million in equity funding, including $250 million in June 2022, affirming its ability to deliver profitable growth and cementing its position as a long-term business with a clear competitive advantage.
Coalition’s exceptional growth stems from its ability to address real-world problems for organizations of all sizes, and by remaining true to our founding values of character, humility, responsibility, purpose, authenticity and inclusion. We are proud to have been named among Inc.’s Best Workplaces in 2021 and 2023, and one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in 2022.
The Cyber Policies team at Coalition is responsible for developing and sustaining a cyber policy platform that provides high integrity for issuance of cyber lines. We focus on meeting corporate KPIs for cyber-based revenue and exceeding engineering KPIs for service operations. You’ll be writing backend services and helping design systems that ensure high integrity business operations to ensure seamless transition from cyber policy lifecycle state to the next.
Our platform consists of services written in Python and Go. We prefer to use the right tool for the job and make pragmatic judgements about how to scale and decouple systems as we continue to grow. You’ll be on an extremely cross-functional team that is very collaborative both internally and externally with the engineering organization at large.
- Build out high quality APIs and web services providing a scalable, efficient and tailored set of interfaces
- Design, document and deploy public interfaces that are a joy to consume
- Work with cross functional stakeholders including product, design, sales, and others to help break down business requirements into actionable plans
- Collaborate with Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) to develop and deliver applications in a repeatable, stable and joyful software development lifecycle
- Develop test cases and work with QE to ensure engineering excellence
- Make Coalition a better place by taking on the unseen, unforeseen and important items that come up along the way
Skills and Qualifications
- Computer Science or Engineering degree – related technical discipline or equivalent work experience
- API and service development in Python and/or Go
- Production tested cloud-native development fundamentals including horizontal scaling, 12-factor application design, security fundamentals like OWASP, etc.
- Assessing software errors with tools like Sentry, DataDog, Jaeger/Zipkin, GreyLog or App Dynamics
- Container-based deployment and development with Docker
- Experience using multiple transports and formats (e.g. REST, gRPC, GraphQL)
- Use of source control – git, svn or perforce
- Working with an agile team using collaborative development tools – Atlassian Suite, GitHub or GitLab
- At least 5+ years of hands-on software development experience building APIs and services – It’s not the years, it’s the miles
- Production experience serving large user bases (100,000+)
- Production experience with other languages such as Go, Scala and Rust
- Development in distributed, event-driven and message-driven architectures
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Flexible PTO policy
- Annual home office stipend and WeWork access
- Mental & physical health wellness programs (One Medical, Headspace, Gympass, and more)!
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- Coalition’s individual pay is determined on several factors, including but not limited to, location, level, skills and experience. The US base salary range for this full-time position is $105,000 – $205,000, and your recruiter can share more on target salary for your location during the interview process.
To learn more, check out our featured press releases:
- Coalition Closes $250 Million in Series F Funding, Valuing the Cyber Insurance Provider at $5 Billion
- Coalition Named to Fast Company’s Annual List of of the World’s Most Innovative Companies for 2022
- Coalition Launches Active Insurance, Reaches $650M Run Rate GWP
- Coalition launches tech-powered executive risks products with personalized risk assessment for all US small-businesses