Senior Backend Engineer – Digital DistributionFull time @Greenhouse jobs posted 7 months ago
Title: Senior Backend Engineer – Digital Distribution
Location: Remote – United States
Coalition is the world’s first Active Insurance provider designed to help prevent digital risk before it strikes. Founded in 2017, Coalition combines broad insurance coverage with a digital risk assessment and continuous security monitoring to help organizations protect themselves in today’s hyper-connected world.
Coalition offers its Active Insurance products in the U.S., U.K., and Canada through relationships with leading global insurers including Allianz, Arch Insurance, Lloyd’s of London, Swiss Re and Zurich, as well as cyber capacity through its own carrier, Coalition Insurance Company. Coalition’s Active Risk Platform provides automated security alerts, threat intelligence, expert guidance, and cybersecurity tools to help businesses worldwide remain resilient against cyber attacks.
Coalition comprises a team of cybersecurity and technology experts, as well as experienced insurance professionals, who have come together to build a world-class organization with a massive technological advantage. Our secret sauce is bringing these expertise together to create a world-class organization with one mission: to protect the unprotected as the world digitizes. Today, Coalition is one of the world’s largest commercial insurtechs serving hundreds of thousands of customers worldwide.
Since its founding, Coalition has raised $755 million in equity funding, including $250 million in June 2022, affirming its ability to deliver profitable growth and cementing its position as a long-term business with a clear competitive advantage.
Coalition’s exceptional growth stems from its ability to address real-world problems for organizations of all sizes, and by remaining true to our founding values of character, humility, responsibility, purpose, authenticity and inclusion. We are proud to have been named among Inc.’s Best Workplaces in 2021 and 2023, and one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in 2022.
About the Role
The Digital Distribution team at Coalition is responsible for developing and maintaining a platform that enables partners access to our core technology platform through APIs, Webhook events and custom portals. We focus on creating a frictionless experience for any external or internal team to seamlessly and quickly enable business flows that impact customers. As a senior engineer on the team you will lead efforts that help achieve this goal. You will be writing backend services and helping design systems that ensure the partners get an accurate actionable insurance quote with as little latency as possible.
Our core platform is written mostly in Python with some services in Go. We prefer to use the right tool for the job and make pragmatic judgments about how to scale and decouple systems as we continue to grow. You’ll be on an extremely cross-functional team contributing against the heart of our risk.
This is a remote position that can be based anywhere in the United States.
- Build out high quality APIs and web services providing a scalable, efficient and tailored set of interfaces
- Design, document and deploy public interfaces that are a joy to consume
- Work with cross functional stakeholders including product, design, sales, Data and others to help break down business requirements into actionable plans
- Collaborate with Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) to develop and deliver applications in a repeatable, stable and joyful software development lifecycle
- Develop test cases and work with QE to ensure engineering excellence
- Make Coalition a better place by taking on the unseen, unforeseen and important items that come up along the way
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, a related field, or equivalent training/fellowship/work experience
- Experience with API and service development in Python, Go, or similar languages
- Container-based deployment and development with Docker
- Assessing software errors with tools like Sentry, DataDog, Jaeger/Zipkin, GreyLog or App Dynamics
- Experience using multiple transports and formats (e.g. REST, gRPC, GraphQL)
- Experience with using and deploying services on cloud platforms like AWS
- Be able to collaborate with your team in a fast-paced environment
- Passion, drive, and a deep sense of ownership
- At least 5+ years of hands-on software development experience – It’s not the years, it’s the miles
- Production experience serving large user bases (100,000+)
- Production experience with other languages such as Go, Scala and Rust
- Development in distributed, event-driven and message-driven architectures
- Experience in creating and deploying AI pipelines using AWS services
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Flexible PTO policy
- Annual home office stipend and WeWork access
- Mental & physical health wellness programs (One Medical, Headspace, Gympass, and more)!
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The US base salary for this position ranges from $110,000/year in our lowest geographic market up to $170,000/year in our highest geographic market. Consistent with applicable laws, an employee’s pay within this range is based on a number of factors, which include but are not limited to relevant education, skills, job-related knowledge, qualifications, work experience, credentials, and/or geographic location. Your recruiter can share more on target salary for your location during the interview process. Coalition, Inc. reserves the right to modify this range as needed.
We’re a highly fulfilling, mission-driven team who is committed to building a more diverse and inclusive culture. We want to work with people of all different backgrounds and paths in life, and we trust our team members to take responsibility, share ownership and put in the work, no matter how small the task. We are always looking for collaborative, inquisitive and dedicated individuals to join #OurCoalition and help us on our mission to solve digital risk.
Recent press releases:
To learn more, check out our featured press releases:
- Coalition Closes $250 Million in Series F Funding, Valuing the Cyber Insurance Provider at $5 Billion
- Coalition Named to Fast Company’s Annual List of of the World’s Most Innovative Companies for 2022
- Coalition Launches Active Insurance, Reaches $650M Run Rate GWP
- Coalition launches tech-powered executive risks products with personalized risk assessment for all US small-businesses
Coalition’s very foundation is built on respecting and encouraging diversity and inclusion across the organization. Coalition is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
For CA residents, please view important privacy information here. For EU residents, you can view GDPR information here. For any questions regarding CCPA or GDPR, please contact us at [email protected].